
We might all agree that Americans eat too much salt. It is in quantities too high in most processed foods and all fast food. But we who like to cook and know how to use it in moderation, want to be able to use some salt, right?
The TV chefs like to use course sea salt in lieu of table salt. Is it for taste or is it because sea salt is healthier or both?
Well I have done some research and the general consensus is that natural unrefined sea salt is better for us. Where as table salt has been stripped of all minerals except sodium chloride and has additives like iodine and anti-caking agents, sea salt has lots of trace elements and the iodine is simply not necessary. Here is the best web page I could find with a thorough explanation of all the salt processes.
It seems like anytime the factories want to refine some food they strip it of all the good stuff. So why be surprised when the same thing happens with salt.
But not all people are convinced. The Mayo-Clinic says there is basically no difference. Click the link and read for yourself. I am beginning to have less faith in modern medicine and their web pages. Here is one more link stating that sea salt is better.
As to the chefs on TV, I wrote Emerill a note and asked him. All he had to say about sea salt was BAM!! They all swear it tastes better and after a while of using it you will be a convert too.
So make the healthy conversion to course, unrefined, sea salt. Aye Aye Matey.
The TV chefs like to use course sea salt in lieu of table salt. Is it for taste or is it because sea salt is healthier or both?
Well I have done some research and the general consensus is that natural unrefined sea salt is better for us. Where as table salt has been stripped of all minerals except sodium chloride and has additives like iodine and anti-caking agents, sea salt has lots of trace elements and the iodine is simply not necessary. Here is the best web page I could find with a thorough explanation of all the salt processes.
It seems like anytime the factories want to refine some food they strip it of all the good stuff. So why be surprised when the same thing happens with salt.
But not all people are convinced. The Mayo-Clinic says there is basically no difference. Click the link and read for yourself. I am beginning to have less faith in modern medicine and their web pages. Here is one more link stating that sea salt is better.
As to the chefs on TV, I wrote Emerill a note and asked him. All he had to say about sea salt was BAM!! They all swear it tastes better and after a while of using it you will be a convert too.
So make the healthy conversion to course, unrefined, sea salt. Aye Aye Matey.
No comments:
Post a Comment