This is a middle eastern dish that dates back many 1000’s of years. It is an ideal dish for vegetarians because it has a high protein value. Just one cup of uncooked lentils has over 50 grams of protein. It is a great source of iron, folate, thiamine and carbs (120g). All good stuff. It is economical too. A 1 pound bag costs about $2.00 and It will make about 3 or 4 full recipes (6 to 8 servings per recipe).
So what do they taste like? We were trying to come up with some great adjectives. How about, tastes like an earthy bean or like peas but not so pungent. Maybe like a navy bean. What we do know is this. You do not need to develop an “acquired taste”. I loved them the first time I tried them.
In the Middle East and all through India it is popular to combine them with rice. In Mexico it is popular to add a little hot sauce and sour cream. I have this fun five minute video where I cook them and show you some garnishes. You can go completely vegan or add some chicken bullion to add some flavor. Check out my video. Wellness Warrior Dean Cooks Lentils. Here is a Link to my Video. Please come back now Ya hear?


No comments:
Post a Comment