Tuesday, July 28, 2009

I just found out that I’m a Vata – a What???

I want to talk a little bit about Deepak Chopra. He is a health wellness guru. He is the master of Mind Body Spirit. Contrary to popular belief he is NOT “The Love Guru” He studied modern medicine and became prominent in his field. But, being from India he started looking back to his Indian roots and also mastered the science of Ayurveda. Today he is huge. He is the “Tiger Woods” of health and wellness gurus. He is the doctor to many of the stars and very wealthy people. Recently he was seeing Michael Jackson before he died. I deeply admire and esteem the man.

What is Ayurveda? It is a 5000 year old practice of health and wellness that says basically we all have an inner pharmacy. Through herbs and botanicals we can awaken the inner pharmacy and heal the common ailments that strike us. I will write more on Ayurveda later. I need to research it and boil it down to a few good thoughts. In the mean time Wikipedia has a great write up on Ayurveda. But there are other web pages as well.

According to Ayurveda we have 3 doshas - Vata - Pitta – Kapha, but we are dominant in one with tendencies leaning toward another. Vata associates with air, Pitta with fire and Kapha from water and earth. Each has physical characteristics like our body frames and demeanor. People who practice this can tell you what you are by just seeing and talking to you.
Back to Deepak Chopra. He has over 40 books and numerous audio courses. He is great to listen to in the car. His theme is balance of Mind, Body and Spirit. Who couldn’t use a little of that? His web page is simply www.Chopra.com . He runs a wellness center in Carlsbad just North of San Diego.

So how did I find out about my dosha being a Vata? He has a simple quiz on Chopra’s web page, free of charge that will tell which of the three you are dominant and how the other 2 stack up. To learn more about Doshas, visit this page: Ayurveda – Body Type. The Quiz is fun and Ayurveda is amazing. More to come on Ayurveda soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment