Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Pet Peeve #2 High Fructose Corn Syrup

Why am I doing this? I can only hope to have one person see the light and make some positive changes in their life. I have seen some of the big diseases hit the people close to me and I wonder what we can do to improve our own habits. Knowledge is key. If you are well informed then you can make wise choices. If you choose status quo that is OK. Just remember you can work at being healthy or you can work with being sick. Which one do you want?

Pet Peeve #2 High Fructose Corn syrup – The great American poison. Problem: It is everywhere. Another problem: It is highly addicting. Well maybe no one has been struck with cancer due to HFCS but there are other diseases that hit Americans that I would like to avoid. How about heart disease, diabetes, to name a couple. Why is it dangerous? It is a processed sugar. Our body has difficulty digesting processed sugars because the molecular structure has been changed and our bodies want to turn them into fat. Then the fat stays there because our bodies can’t process the very fat it created. HFCS is everywhere. Don’t believe me – just read the label on a can or box of any food. If it is item number one, two or three, then it is huge.

I know it is not easy but I implore you to get this horrible sugar out of your diet. How? Greatly reduce your consumption of Fast Food. Their marketing guys figured out a long time ago the addictive nature of HFCS. It is in everything they make. Watch the movie “Supersize Me” by Morgan Spurlock (2004). Click here to watch it for free. http://freedocumentaries.org/film.php?id=98 You will be enlightened. Also Chain restaurants use high amounts of HFCS. It can’t be avoided. Shop the perimeter of your grocery store ( no pre-packaged foods). You will take a great step toward reducing the poisonous sugars that we are being fed.
Think outside the box. Change your habits. New habit number two: Eliminate or greatly reduce High Fructose Corn Syrup from your diet. Or adopt the slogan – “I’m high on fructose”

1 comment:

  1. Processed Sugar is a Drug that people are so addicted to, that they will deny the addiction the same way a HEROIN ADDICT denies their addiction. I compare sugar to hard drugs like heroin and cocaine because if you are taking them on a regular basis, then THEY WILL KILL YOU.
    If you are not a ‘marijuana smoker’ because you feel it is an unhealthy habit, but you eat any form of processed sugar, you have taken on a MORE dangerous habit. eg. heart disease, diabetes
    It is possible to eliminate it from your diet with some simple changes to the way you shop, and learning how to read a label. ( not the daily values but the actual ingredients.)

    ReplyDelete