Thursday, July 23, 2009

Wellness Warrior is done bad mouthing foods. Let’s have some fun.

I went to Sprout’s and found a 9 grain flour in the bulk foods section. (Wholefoods and Trader Joe’s have it also) . It is finely ground and can replace white flour in your recipes and it is way healthy. Now I love Aunt Jemima pancakes but I do not love the chemistry store that comes along with each box. So here is a simple healthy recipe from scratch for 9 grain pancakes. They actually taste good so don’t be afraid.
1 ¼ Cups 9 grain flour
3 Teaspoons Baking Powder
1 Tablespoon sugar
½ Teaspoon salt
1 egg
1 cup milk ( a little more milk if you like thinner pancakes)
2 Tablespoons canola oil (or vegetable oil if that is all you have)
Mix dry ingredients in a mixing bowl. Separately mix egg, milk and oil and stir up. Then pour wet mixture into the dry and stir with a spoon until lumps go away.
Bake on hot griddle – makes about 6 saucer sized pancakes. Need more… double the recipe.
Healthier suggestions for what to put on top. You can use Honey or even Real Maple syrup. But please don’t use Aunt Jemima or Mrs Butterworth’s or Eggo. They are nothing but chemicals and HFCS. And for fun I would like to take a poll on butter or margarine to go with those pancakes. Personally I like butter.

2 comments:

  1. If you feel you dont have time to cook your pancakes from scratch, there are mixtures sold at wholefoods that dont have any added sugar or chemicals in the bag.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anything that has turned into syrup is still Unhealthy/Addictive/A Drug. Unfortunately Maple Syrup is almost impossible to find RAW. Be weary of anything that says nectar as well because these have also been turned into syrup at one point.

    If you are reluctant to give these up you might ask yourself, “is it because I am addicted to them.”

    HONEY is a GREAT sweetener especially raw. A very safe bet that you will not become addicted to it and that it won’t be causing harmful damage to your arteries and heart.

    ReplyDelete